Cargo Bombs Spark Mail Security Reviews
The recent shipment of cargo bombs from terrorists in Yemen has inspired some U.S. mailrooms to take a fresh look at their security measures. On its Web site, the U.S. Postal Service has listed some Best Practices for Mail Center Security. These may help in-plants interested in reviewing their own mailing operations. Tips include:
• Organize a Mail Security Response Team.
• Train personnel in policies and procedures relative to mail security.
• Notify customers of steps taken to ensure safety of mail.
• Ensure appropriate emergency access numbers are posted by or on every phone.
• Map shut-off points of processing area’s ventilation system.
See the full list of best practices.