New Rules for a New World
As in-plants adapt to a world in the grip of a pandemic, managers are changing the way they do business. Some have come up with new rules to govern how they handle packages and interact with customers. Here’s a list of guidelines compiled from the suggestions of several managers:
- Staff must work from home if possible.
- Delivery and mail employees must wear gloves.
- No dock staff may sign a commercial handheld device.
- Handles of all types are cleaned/sterilized twice daily.
- All keys to lockers are being sterilized.
- Work surfaces are sanitized constantly.
- Hands washed often; hand sanitizer is available.
- Masks are available to disrupt hand to face contact.
- Doors are left ajar to minimize hand contact.
- Visitor entrances locked.
- Staff encouraged to maintain distances of six feet.
- Service counter limited to two people with yellow tape separating sides to maintain six-foot distance.
- Limit of one customer at the front counter at a time.
- Reduced office hours, and reduced service window hours.
- Mail deliveries suspended; essential personal can pick up mail at service counter