Large-format Printer Shipments Decline in Q3
According to new data from the International Data Corp. (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Large-format Printer Tracker, large-format printer (LFP) shipments declined -4 percent when compared to Q3 2014.
"The third quarter is often the slowest quarter of the year in the global wide-format business while the fourth quarter is often the strongest, as many print-for-pay shops take advantage of aggressive end-of-year manufacturer promotions. While aqueous inkjet printer shipments declined, shipments of large-format UV and eco-solvent printers grew in the third quarter based on some model-end clear outs and price cuts. While Latex shipments declined slightly worldwide in 3Q15 compared to 2Q15, Latex printer shipments grew 5 percent year to date in 2015," commented Tim Greene, research director, U.S. Large-format Printer Tracker.
- The large-format CAD/Technical printer market segment was soft in 3Q15, with shipments down in every region when compared to the third quarter of 2014. However, new products from the top suppliers were introduced in 3Q15 that should drive a recovery in this segment in the fourth quarter and into 2016.
- On the large-format graphics side, new large-format graphics printer shipments declined -1 percent year over year in Q3 2015. The decline of conventional aqueous inkjet graphics printers was offset somewhat by nearly 20 percent growth in large-format UV-curable printers when compared to Q3 2014.
There was no change in the ranking of the top five suppliers in Q3 2015, although some market share shift can be seen in certain product segments.
- The softness in the CAD/Technical market impacted HP somewhat, but HP is by far the top supplier of large-format digital printing systems worldwide. HP saw sales grow in the Latex and UV segments in Q3 2015.
- Canon remained number two among large-format printer manufacturers with market share of approximately 21 percent of worldwide shipments when Canon and Canon-Océ units are combined.
- Epson also maintained its position as the number 3 worldwide supplier to the large-format digital printer market. Epson is seeing nice growth in the dye-sublimation and technical printer segments and re-launched its eco-solvent inkjet printer units at the recent SGIA show.
- Roland DG is the fourth-ranked supplier of large-format printers worldwide based on its strength in the eco-solvent market and growing presence in UV and dye-sublimation. Roland also recently launched the new SOLJET EJ-640, a new flagship eco-solvent printer.
- Mimaki maintained its number 5 position among large-format printer manufacturers even as the company has reorganized some of its key distribution channels.
An interactive graphic depicting the worldwide market share of the top five large-format printer vendors in 3Q15 and 3Q14 is available here. The chart is intended for public use in online news articles and social media. Instructions on how to embed this graphic can be found by viewing this press release on IDC.com.
- Overall, large-format printer shipments in the Latin America region grew 10 percent in 3Q15 compared to the previous quarter, but were still down by -7 percent compared to the third quarter of 2014.
- Modest large-format graphics printer shipment growth in North America was offset by declines in the Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) region while Asia/Pacific and Latin America were essentially flat.
- Canon-Océ and Ricoh were the leaders in the worldwide toner-based printer segment where shipments declined -7.5 percent year over year as users continue to shift to color inkjet for their wide-format technical print volume.
- IDC tracks A2-A0+ devices in the LFP market.
- The LFP market includes single-function printers, as well as multifunctional systems (MFPs). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad. The IDC Tracker Chart app is also available for Android Phones and Android Tablets.
International Data Corp. (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research and events company.